I'm Having a Sunday

And a fine one it is. I'm supposed to be proofreading a book on rental forms, but instead have been shuffling around the house, whistling Mozart, watching the A's on TV, making a tunafish sandwich for lunch and sharing it with Danny Mo, the king of all cats.

Z has taken a part-time job, which keeps him out of the house Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. It is just about the perfect activity for this rehabilitating period in his life, and we're glad that the opportunity popped up for him when he needed it. But I miss sharing my Sunday with him!

Meanwhile, the sliding door in the kitchen is open and a summer breeze is dancing in and out.

Summer breeze, makes me feel fine,
Blowing through the jasmine of my mind.

[Insert a nod of thanks and a smile here for Seals and Croft.]

So what have I been doing? Running. Why else would I be so giddy? Believe me when I say I'll never take mobility for granted again. Maybe if I promise that, fate will refrain from throwing me onto the pavement again, at least for another year or two. (An aside: Three years ago today I fell while running, fracturing my shoulder and tearing my rotator cuff. My right arm still protests now and then--especially when I'm swimming.)


Last week I walked up to the high school very early one morning and did four laps around the track. Of that mile, half of it I covered by "running," which has to be in quotation marks because it was probably running only in my mind (very slow, very awkward). Tentative as it was, the outing was still enough to float a golden bubble of hope in my sky that has since drifted down and settled itself around my formerly sad and gray and limping self.

So this morning I rode my bike down to the Ohlone Greenway, where I tethered the bike to a pole and then ran (no quotation marks!) for a total of 26 minutes. It felt wonderful, and I believe it is the beginning of the beginning.

When I went to retrieve my bike, two things happened.


First, I met a beagle named Stanley. I believe I'm in love, but don't tell Danny Mo.


Second, I had a vision of a warm bagel and--presto!--there appeared a bagel shop before my eyes. I'll just say that a breakfast of a toasted whole wheat bagel, nonfat cream cheese, and Trader Joe's blueberry jam put the perfect exclamation mark at the end of my morning.

Now, it's back to work I go. Have a lovely day, y'all.


Comments

Bob said…
Funny you mention Seals and Croft - I got their songs on iTunes. Good memories.
And did you steal the beagle? He's a cutie.

Popular posts from this blog

Trying to Make Lemonade

By the Numbers

Where's Elizabeth West?