The Main Point


Would you believe the main point, i.e., the main subject of this blog, is running--in particular, my running. So. I was in Reno Saturday and Sunday (the above was taken around noon Saturday at the rest area on Donner Summit--love the little skunk stripes of snow on the trees' slender trunks). The weather in Reno was cool but mostly sunny. By the time I left (Sunday around 3 pm), it was also quite windy. It is spring there, all right, even if a less advanced version than what we're having in the Bay Area. A beautiful feature of the Reno spring, one that I'd forgotten, is forsythia. It's everywhere there, its showy lemon-hued branches garnering all the attention of the winter-weary.

I rode my bike around the old 'hood Saturday afternoon, and then ran early Sunday morning (6:30 am). Down the hill on Keystone Ave., dog-legging west along the river, then over the bridge to Idlewild Park and the Crooked Mile, the path where my parents walked daily for a number of years after their retirement.

Often when I run in Reno I imagine that I'm breathless from the altitude change (up from zero to some 4,800 feet), but during my last few visits I've decided it's all in my head and have just done a regular run anyway. Seems to work! I did about five miles this time, and didn't even come close to dying. Always a plus, that not dying thing.

Later in the day I drove to Carson to see my nephew and his entire family for breakfast. Seven of us at the table--what a treat. Still later in the day, I drove home in the Sunday afternoon traffic. Insanity on wheels. Many, many wheels. The high cost of depending on the freeway. Hmmm.

Tuesday morning (yesterday) I ran 5.25 miles and all was well. Did some intervals as I ran my usual Ohlone Greenway route. I do seem to be getting infinitesimally faster.

Because I'm working early tomorrow (proofreading at a well-known Bay Area financial institution), I ran again this morning. It felt OK, although my legs are a bit fatigued. Then I stretched, iced my knee, had some coffee, and out into the world I went. And that's where I am (that is, I think I am in the world, although some might say I'm out of this world--or some might not say that at all). The marathon is less five weeks away. This weekend will be my final long run--something around 24 or 26 miles, depending on how how many hours I can stay upright. I'm cautiously optimistic.

My intrepid running buddy from work is on the DL, which is a very worrisome thing. She injured her hip--maybe slightly dislocated it?--and is, as we elite athletes say, listed as day to day. How far she'll be able to run on May 4 is definitely in question. I'm crossing my fingers, and running on.

So now you're up to date on the main point.

Ps. I am still working on the Flicker site. Haven't had much spare time lately, between running, working, and, and, and...stuff.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trying to Make Lemonade

By the Numbers

Where's Elizabeth West?