Listen to the Rhythm

I caught a break today around 10 am -- a relatively dry window in a day of constant, gentle precipitation. I'd wanted to run short this week -- 17 miles -- but at this time am assured only of 10. Did 3.5 Tuesday and 6.5 today. And what a lovely 6.5 it was! The air was cool, fresh, like gin without the olives. And along the way I ran into an old work colleague who may be able to send some jobs my way! Endorphins galore, and networking too. Now that's a run. I'm going to try for a repeat performance tomorrow, despite the forecast for more rain. Don't know whom I might network with, but do know where to find the endorphins.

I'll be happy if the networking works out. This is the off season in publishing, and I've been rather less busy this month than is good for my bank account. But I'm running four days a week, and this week have even made it to the gym twice. Who needs money? Since I quit my "real" job I've not spent one nanosecond regretting it.

Although I do spend what even I consider an inordinate amount of time worrying about being broke, being deprived, being without. When measured on a worldwide scale of human well-being, my life has to fall into the upper half of the top 1 percent. I've never spent a day in my 60 years unable to obtain food, unable to be clothed, unable to sleep in a clean and comfortable bed, unable to say whatever the heck I feel like to anyone, any time. Fact: A wonderful man who works for Z, a man not a U.S. citizen, lives in a two-bedroom apartment in Oakland with both his parents, his wife, and their two small children. This guy believes Z and I are incredibly rich because the two of us live alone in a house and are able to have a cleaning woman come in once every three weeks. He doesn't run recreationally; he doesn't belong to the gym. He works 40 or 50 hours a week for Z and then picks up jobs on his own to do on the weekend. He supports four people--and sends money to Mexico for other family members. I don't think he worries about funding his retirement. To me his life seems awfully scary and hard, but at the same time I realize that on that worldwide well-being scale, he is probably in the top 25 percent.

Don't know where this is leading, except to a note to self: Be appreciative of all you're blessed with!

As I sit here the rain patters on outside the window. My head is drooping down. I just had a good dinner and haven't a provocative thought (or a thought at all) in my brain. My feet tingle a bit in the aftermath of their day's activity. I think with boundless affection of Z, of my children, of my nephew and his family. The world and its complicated challenges can wait until tomorrow. G'night.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trying to Make Lemonade

By the Numbers

Where's Elizabeth West?