Springing Forward

Well, one can only hope that the direction is forward. For now it seems to be. Last time I posted I indicated I'd talk later about my annual A's Spring Training trip to Phoenix and the running I did there. How can that trip already be so far in the past?



At any rate, here is the signature photo from that trip. A rain-washed morning trip to the Salt River and its iconic pedestrian bridge. Heavenly!


At that point I was running fairly well and still anticipating the Oakland half with a mixture of excitement and trepidation. From Phoenix I flew back to LA; then a week later it was off to the East Coast for my mother-in-law's 90th birthday.


All the while I was running--in the cold, in the rain, in the sun. And past a pond in Westbrook, CT. 

From Westbrook it was back to Berkeley, with only three days to go before the half. To summarize re. the half--the ORF Half Marathon--I finished, number 2538 out of 3748, and seventh in my division (there were fifteen of us). I was extremely happy with the outcome. Up until that day I still had doubts in my mind about whether I would ever run a long race again. I did have some hip/butt/etc. pain after about mile 7, but it was manageable with stretching and walking a bit.

Now I'm back in Berkeley and probably will be for a while, with the occasional week-long trip back to LA to strengthen my connection with the people and the place there that I cherish. I'm continuing to run fairly strong, if slowly and not for huge mileage, and have also gone back to swimming a couple of times a week. Thanks to Katie C. for introducing me to the surprisingly vigorous Senior Exercise class at King Pool!






Here's a piece of the cheery mural painted on the front of the pool facility. Makes me want to get wet!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trying to Make Lemonade

By the Numbers

Where's Elizabeth West?