Up, Up, and Not Too Far Away

One of the beautiful murals in the lobby of Coit Tower. The way the colors glow can't be captured in a flip-phone photo.

I walked up the Filbert steps to Coit Tower today. This is the fourth time in as many weeks that I've done it, and it gets easier every time. It didn't hurt that we're having weather from fairyland today. It's magical--air all luminous, birds all crazy-happy. I gave directions to a young couple who told me they were from Brazil. I refrained from telling them how beautiful they were.

When my mother was old she used to love watching dancers in the movies or on TV and I used to wonder whether it didn't actually hurt her to see strong and lovely young people doing things she would never, ever be able do in her remaining time. Now I understand (as now I understand many other things she told me as she entered her dotage). I love every young athlete, young dancer, young person I see. I suppose that's because they're the future of my species and I'm hard wired to desire that continuation.


Anyway, today has been a day of spring here in the shadow of Telegraph Hill. Long may spring reign.

Here's a view from the top, looking west. Not as spectacular as looking east, over the bay, but pretty fine anyway. (Click to enlarge, of course.)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trying to Make Lemonade

By the Numbers

That Z Man